Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Tennis or Volleyball...that is the question

Tennis has been so great so far! I love everything about it, and I actually look forward to going to practice everyday! The girls have been so dang fun, and they are so nice to me even though I am a little freshman. My doubles partner is pretty much my hero, because she is amazing at everything that she does. She is an SBO, she is on the tennis team, the track team, and she is so nice to everyone. I have never seen her be mean to a single soul, and everyone is so nice back to her. We are undefeated so far! All five of the spots on varsity are undefeated, and that has never happened before. Our whole team has made our mark in history!

The thing is, I have always played volleyball and I only played tennis because our Junior High volleyball team was going to be really bad. That sounds really horrible, but it was just my one chance to play tennis and I did. That is pretty much the best decision I ever made.

Since I have loved it so much it has made it hard for me to decide if I want to play tennis or volleyball. They are so different from each other, but each also has its charms. I guess you're always supposed go with your gut instinct but really every time I thing of it I come up with nothing. Yesterday we had the state tennis tournament to finish out the season. My partner and I did great in our first to matches, and won pretty easily. Our third match which was the semi-finals was more challenging. In the first set we started out ahead but then made some mistakes, and lost the first set 4-6. The second set we took the lead at 4-3. We got complacent, and let them come back. They ended up beating us 6-4 again in the second set. This sounds pathetic, but I have never been so devastated! It was horrible because the team that they played in the finals was a lot easier. My partner and I just couldn't believe it, and it still is making me really upset to think about it right now.

It makes me really sad that the tennis season is now over, and I'm realizing how much I love it. Club volleyball tryouts are in the middle of November, and my mom is telling me I need to make a pro and con list before then. It will be a very tough decision that will affect my life immensely.

A lot of the reason I love both sports is because of all the fun people that you get to meet. I don't think I would even play sports if I didn't make new friends doing it. Volleyball is so much of a team sport because everyone is involved in every point. Tennis is so much different because if you are playing singles it is you and only you out there on the court. You can't feed off of other people's energy like you can with volleyball. That is why tennis is such a mental sport, and I believe it is 90% mental and only 10% skill.I love both and only wish I could play both.

No comments:

Post a Comment