Sunday, October 24, 2010

Holidays

At this time of year I am realizing how much I love the fall. I didn't discover my passion until this year, and it makes me sad that I haven't been able to appreciate how nice it is until now. The air is unbelievably crisp, and the whole world is changing colors. I've never exactly understood the concept of Halloween, but you get to dress up in costumes and it keeps kids happy for weeks. I remember when I used to get so excited for Halloween night, and getting ready to trick-or-treat at the neighbor's houses. One year I was planning on being a bride, and then unexpectedly got sick so I couldn't go trick-or-treating. At this time my brother was probably the nicest he's has ever been to me, because he came home and shared all of his candy with me. At some of the houses he even asked for an extra piece of candy for his sister Kendall, who was sick. Autumn also means that it is getting close to Christmas, and that is the most amazing part of the year! I don't know how the Grinch couldn't just love every minute of it. My house always looks and smells the best when it comes to be the holidays. My mom can get a little bit carried away with Christmas, because our house is decked with decorations. There is holly all the way down the banister, on our chandelier, and also on the hearth. There is always the sweet smell of hot cocoa or apple cider in the air. Even though Christmas is such a big event at our house, my mom is very strict about not overlooking Thanksgiving. Which she says is very important too. One of our traditions that we have for Thanksgiving, is in the month of November we have a "Thankful Pumpkin." We have a porcelain pumpkin, and we write down what we are thankful for. After that we put it in the pumpkin. On the Sunday before Thanksgiving we read them all to each other, and it's actually very fun, and gives us an opportunity to realize all the things we can be grateful for every day. I am disobeying my mom's rules to not to skip Thanksgiving, because I am listening to Christmas music right now...don't tell. My favorite Christmas songs would have to be "Santa Baby" by Madonna, "All I want for Christmas" by Mariah Carey, and every song by Harry Connick Junior and Michael Buble. It makes me want to be a better person, and be nicer to people around Christmas time. Then when the Holidays are over I go back to being me again. Just kidding, but it really is nice to have such a spirit of service in the air in the coldest time of year. I have recognized that it really isn't about the presents at all, even though that is very fun too. It's about the spirit you have, and how you treat others. It is a great opportunity to help those people in need too, we do a Sub for Santa family each year, and that is always a good experience. So pretty much I just get a little to into the holidays, but as far as I'm concerned there is nothing wrong with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment