Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thanksgiving...Right Around the Corner!

It is so sad that Thanksgiving is so often overlooked, because it is a great holiday. I am usually one of the people that skips over it, and moves right on to Christmas. This year I realized that Thanksgiving is a really great time, and I have a lot to be thankful for.

Every year at my house, we do what we call a "Thankful Pumpkin." During the month of November we write down what we are thankful for, and then proceed to put the papers in a porcelain pumpkin. The week of Thanksgiving we draw them out of the pumpkin, and read them. This is a great tradition at our house, and I hope it continues.

Another tradition that we have been doing for two years running is that we have a "Pie Night." Most of you know that by the end of dinner on Thanksgiving you're just too full to fit pie in. We thought it would be clever to have a night where we invite over all of our neighbors to have pie on Thanksgiving Eve. Everyone brings a pie to share, and we have a lot of fun. The bad part about it is that we have to deliver all of the fliers to people's houses...miserable. We had to do it tonight in the below freezing weather! I sure hope it will be worth it in the end.  

We usually go over to my grandma and grandpa's house for Thanksgiving, but this year they are going to be gone in St. George. All my cousins are leaving too since my grandparents aren't going to be here. We thought it would be fun to have some people from our neighborhood over. We have a lady that's from Guam, and so she is going to bring some dishes that originated there. It should be a fun Thanksgiving, because it's different than what we usually do.

This past weekend I was in our school's Dinner Theater. It was everything Shakespeare, and it was an absolute blast. During all of the practices I started to think that it wouldn't be worth it, and man was I wrong! My part was Kate from "The Taming of the Shrew." I had a ton of fun with it, and loved to get into character. We were required to talk in our British accents for all three shows. Once the shows were over it was really hard to get out of the habit. I made some really great memories, and I am really glad I got the chance to experience it.

Another great thing about it is now i understand a lot more Shakespeare. We were able to learn about a variety of different plays that Shakespeare wrote, and it was actually interesting. It's really cool when you finally understand a certain line or phrase. His language is so different from ours today, but I loved learning about it. I am really happy I was given the opportunity to participate in this great show!

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving break! Then after that comes Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment