Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Clasroom of Carter


          "Smup, cuss, splain, HDIC!" The language you just read is called Carter, and it is only spoken in one place around the world. That place is in Mr. Carter's classroom at Fairfield Junior High. Mr. Carter is my favorite teacher and has changed my life throughout junior high. There is no one else who can be quite as unique or as clever when it comes to Mr. Carter.
          Each day that I have Geography, I look forward to going to school because I get to go to class with Mr. Carter. He is one of the only teachers I know that can have the perfect balance of learning and fun. He lectures the whole class period, and we take notes on what he says. You would think that after just listening to the same man for an hour and a half it might get a little dull. This is not the case because he will always do something that will catch you off guard, and it will make you ask, "Is there something wrong with him?" Whether it's singing, dancing, or scaring you with a blow horn, Mr. Carter always has a way to keep Geography interesting.
          Mr. Carter not only keeps class entertaining, but he is very clever as well. Each day when we go to class there is what he calls a "Carterism" up on the board. A "Carterism" is one of Mr. Carter's words that he changes up the meaning a little bit. For example, in his class, the term Utter Destruction is referring to a female cow that got stuck on a fence, and a crowbar is known as a pub for black birds. As I mentioned before, the words smup, cuss, splain, and HDIC all mean something as well. "Smup" means to pass 'em up, and he tells us this when we need to pass our assignments up. "Cuss" means to discuss, and "splain" means to explain. "HDIC" stands for the Head Dude in Charge. This is referring to the president or leader of a country.
          In Mr. Carter's class we learn new words and funny jokes, but we also learn a lot about Geography. Last year, he was my teacher for U.S. History, which is my favorite subject. I love learning about the Civil War, and I already knew a lot about it. I couldn't believe how much more I knew about the Civil War, and everything else in U.S. History by the time the year was over. This year in Geography we are learning the location of every country in the world, the major rivers, cities, and mountain ranges. This is a great skill to have, and I am grateful that he is putting us through the pain of learning all these places. We also learn some very important life lessons and just some crazy trivia that nobody knows except for Mr. Carter.
          When I think of amazing teachers, only a few names come to my mind, and Mr. Carter is definitely at the top of my list. He is a fabulous teacher because he makes learning fun, I have learned a whole new vocabulary, and I have learned a lot about history and Geography. Looking back on Junior High, Mr. Carter has definitely made his mark in the my life, and the lives of many students.



No comments:

Post a Comment