Sunday, April 10, 2011

Surprises of Utah Weather

In the last week, I have spent the majority of my time in a place where the sun shines almost every day of the year. The temperature is about 60-80 throughout the different seasons. I had a volleyball tournament in Anaheim this past weekend, and the weather couldn't have been more perfect. The sun was shining every day, and there was a slight breeze so it didn't get too hot. We spent as much time outside as we possibly could. Then after my tournament was over, my family and I stayed for a few more days to hang out at the beach. It was even warm enough at the beach that I was getting hot so I got in the water to cool off. In the beginning of April! This trip was so much fun because we got to escape from the never ending winter that lingers in Utah.

I have to say that it was one of the biggest disappointments I have ever faced to come back to a blizzard when we hit Salt Lake on the drive home. I bought sunglasses in California for the beach because the sun was so bright, and then we came back to a place where I definitely won't need them. It doesn't seem right that there is a thick layer of snow in my  backyard, and we're supposed to be out of school for "Spring" break. I guess the people who planned the school year out misjudged when spring would come around by a bit.

Our tradition is to go camping down in Southern Utah over Spring break each year. We didn't do that this year because of my volleyball tournament. But I remember it being really warm when we would come back home.

If I remember right, when Punxsutawney Phil came up out of his hole on February 2, he told us that there would only be six more weeks of winter. Back then, that seemed very far away and like it would never end. If only I knew that was just the beginning. If his prediction was true, spring should have started in the middle of March.

Also, Easter is coming, and it would be so sad to have a rainy, cloudy Easter Sunday. In all of the pictures that you see, Easter is a day where children search for eggs in the green grass on a sunny day. I surely hope that's the way it will be this year. It would be a disappointment to many if it was a gloomy day on such a happy occasion. I don't remember ever hunting for eggs in the snow, and that better not change.

Now I know this blog may sound a tiny bit annoyed, and I am getting pretty fed up with this wacky weather. I really need to stop complaining because there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. I'm pretty sure that no matter how hard I try, I will never be able to control the weather. I'll try to hold my tongue for the rest of this endless winter, and then I'll show my excitement when the sun finally shows its face.

No comments:

Post a Comment