Tuesday, February 15, 2011

For Good


          Last November, my mom, my sister, and I took a girls trip out to San Francisco to see the Broadway play, "Wicked."  It was not only a really fun trip because of all the fun things that we got to do, but it seemed that after walking out of the theater, I felt changed in a way. The whole play has many different lessons that it teaches us, and I learned a lot of things while watching it. I have to say that there is one song it particular, "For Good," that taught some very important lessons.  The lyrics have some very important messages to share. I found them and have now copied them down onto this page:

I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you...

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good


It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...

Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you

Because I knew you
I have been changed for good

And just to clear the air
I ask forgiveness
For the things I've done you blame me for

But then, I guess we know
There's blame to share

And none of it seems to matter anymore

Who can say if I've been
Changed for the better?
I do believe I have been
Changed for the better

Because I knew you
I have been changed for good


I have thought about these lyrics over and over again in my head. It isn’t just about the similes, the rhyming words, and the bitter-sweet phrases that it contains. This song tells us many important things about choosing our friends and how to treat them if you want to keep them. At the beginning, it has some important lines, including the following, “I’ve heard it said that people come into our lives for a reason, bringing something we must learn.
And we are led to those who help us most to grow if we let them,
and we help them in return.”
          I believe that certain people are put into our lives for reasons. A lot of those people are here to teach us the lessons that we need to learn in life. This may be true, but I think that it’s hard for us to realize that these people are here to help us. We may get annoyed by these individuals who want to make us better and teach us what we should do, especially when those people are our parents. It also says in those lines that we will only grow if we help those people in return. I think that we all could do a better job of realizing what people do for us each and every day and giving back to those who sacrifice for us.
          I also like the very last lines that read, “Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.” These words have so much that they can teach us. I hope that we can all try to do a little better at being nice to people and helping them out. I know that I want people to be changed for the better because they knew me. I think that we can all want to be better each and every day, so that we can change other for good. I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to go to San Francisco and see this amazing musical because it reminds that I can be better every day.



No comments:

Post a Comment