Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Grand Old Symphony...Not Exactly

Each year before Christmas we take the opportunity to go to the Utah Symphony down at Abravanel Hall. It's not like I love to go, but isn't usually misery to sit through the whole thing. One of the main reasons it wasn't as good is because they got a new conductor. It is usually this little Asian man named David Cho. He is great with the audience, and always makes it an enjoyable experience.

The new conductor didn't quite know how to act with the audience yet. There was a song specially picked out about the movie the "Polar Express." There was singing involved which is a little out of the ordinary. The song told every little detail about the movie in the exact same tune. After about five minutes of it, I told myself it was alright to go to sleep for a little bit. So I did, and when I woke up about 5-10 minutes later it was still going. The last 3 minutes were all about growing up, and even though you're old you still need to believe. The man's voice had so much vibrato it just got old.

Every year Santa comes, and leads the orchestra for the song "Sleigh Ride." This year he was just a little cheesier than ever. The jokes were awful, and there wasn't even a courtesy laugh.

The music still sounded fabulous like always. My favorite part is at the end when they invite the audience to sing along. The audience members are encouraged to bring jingle bells to shake as the songs are going at the end. Some of the kids didn't quite understand this concept, and so there was constant ringing throughout the whole show.

My mom is really sick right now, and so she couldn't go to the show. She told me I could bring a friend, and so of course the one year that it's awful a friend came with me. I feel really stupid, and she was really nice to put up with the whole thing. She didn't say so, but I'm pretty sure she thought it was pretty dumb. On the way to pick her up however we were pulled over by a police. My dad was going 17 over, and the cop was nice enough to let us off with a warning.

The whole morning was a little disastrous, but we got to eat lunch at Crown Burger which made it seem better. I am hoping that we won't have to go sit through that again next year!

Although that isn't the most fun tradition, I do have something fun to look forward to. On the afternoon of Christmas Eve we have a tradition to got see a movie. All eight of us jump in the car, and go to the theater. Last year we saw the "Blindside." We don't know what we're going to try this year, but I hope it's fun, and much better than the grand old Utah Symphony!

No comments:

Post a Comment